Premises liability law covers any injury sustained by a visitor or tenant on another person’s property. The owner of the property may be held liable if it’s proven they were negligent with their property’s upkeep or maintenance. At Bailey Reyes, PLLC we take measures to ensure those who sustain injuries from a property’s hazardous conditions get the legal counsel and representation they deserve from our premises liability attorneys.Premises can include restaurants, hardware stores, supermarkets, office buildings, department stores, other people's homes, and much more. Recovering compensation from the responsible party can be difficult. The property owner may deny responsibility. In some cases, you may be blamed for what happened. That's why you need an experienced attorney who knows how to get you the compensation you deserve.WHAT DOES A PREMISES LIABILITY CLAIM INCLUDE?Injuries on properties can include:
- Slip and fall accidents
- House/apartment complex fire injury
- Gunshot wounds or wrongful death on premises
- Injury due to security negligence
- Injury at an event/concert
- Dog bites
- Exposure to toxic or hazardous substances such as lead or mold
- Injuries at health and gym clubs
- Injury due to uneven pavement
- Injury due to unsecured rugs and mats/ torn carpeting
- Injury due to poor lighting
- Injury due to slippery and/or wet floors
- Injury due to uncleared snow and icy walkways
- Safety code violations
- Day care facility injuries
HOW DO I WIN A PREMISES LIABILITY CASE?To demonstrate the property owner’s negligence, your premises liability attorney must prove that the property owner is guilty of one of the following:
- Failure to maintain property
- Created unsafe conditions which caused the injury
- Failure to rectify or notify guests of unsafe conditions such as spilled liquids
For premises liability to apply, the defendant must actually own said property, and the plaintiff must have been invited onto the property. Traditionally, trespassers are not covered under premises liability law.If you were injured in a slip and fall in Texas, there are certain steps you should take to protect your rights:
- Get medical attention - Even if you feel OK. You may have suffered an injury that only a medical exam can reveal.
- Take photos - As soon as you can, take several photos of the area where you fell. Take close-up and wide angle photos from different points of view.
- Talk to witnesses - Get contact information for witnesses. Ask for the names, addresses and phone numbers of anyone who witnessed your fall, or saw the conditions that caused you to fall.
- Record your thoughts - Write down what happened. While your memory of the incident is still fresh, write down an account of your fall. Include as many details as you can remember.
- Call a lawyer - Learn what your legal options are from an attorney.
Seek Representation QuicklyIn almost all cases, a lawsuit must be filed within a certain amount of time from the date of the accident. If you intend to pursue a claim, you should contact an attorney right away to ensure that you do not waive your right to possible compensation. If you wish to discuss a potential premises liability claim with a Dallas premises liability attorney, contact the Barber Law Firm today. If we agree to handle your case, we will normally work on a contingent fee basis, meaning we get paid only if you do.